Monday, May 9, 2011

vampire books



I am currently listening to the entire Twilight series on audio books while I commute. Disclaimer: I know these are teeny-bopper, silly vampire romance books and that's why I've refused to read them until now.

The first one was good. I was captivated. The second one was okay too. The real love triangle has started. Corny? Yes, but it was fine. An easy story to listen to while I drive and don't have to concentrate to hard on what they're saying.

Now I'm on chapter 10 (disc five) of the third one, Eclipse. Can I just say it is a yawn-fest! I mean, what is going on? There is absolutely no point to this story so far. Edward and Jacob hate each other, and of course Bella is torn between the two because Jacob is her "best friend" and Edward is her lover; she is desperate to turn into a vampire but then Jacob and his pack will kill her because the treaty is off... blah, blah, blah. BOR-ing.

The Vampire Diaries book is a completely different, horrific, situation. First of all, I couldn't even get past chapter one. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of children's and YA literature, but this is just terrible, juvenile writing. Maybe if I was a 9 year old girl, I'd appreciate it a bit more. To the books defense, I'm sure that was the exact audience it is aimed for. However, I am not wasting my time on any more sentences that include the main character talking about how the outfit she picked for the first day of school makes her look like a raspberry sundae, or how important boys are to her life and that's basically the only reason she lives -- to impress boys.

Um, hello? This is what pre-teen girls are reading? When I was 9, I was reading The Baby Sitter's Club books or Pollyanna.

The Vampire Diaries books will be promptly returned to the library without further ado.

With the Twilight books, I'll keep going. At least with those, they are written a little better and I kinda have to find out with happens with this vampire baby I keep hearing rumors about.

No comments:

Post a Comment