Friday, May 20, 2011

My Favorite Shopaholic


I have been reading the Shopaholic series since college. I love everything about them. They are hilarious and a really light and easy read -- which is perfect for airplane travel. On all my flights this week, I read the newest Shopaholic book, Mini Shopaholic.

Yes, the antics of Becky Bloomwood (now Becky Brandon), are totally unrealistic and far-fetched, but that's what makes it so entertaining. It's like watching a sitcom. You know that kind of stuff never, ever happens in real life, but it's still freakin' hilarious. Take, for example, the show Friends. My favorite TV show of all time. I've watched the entire series about a million times, and I die laughing every single time I watch an episode. It doesn't matter that six people would never really spend THAT MUCH time together in real life, let alone experience all those crazy things that they do, but it's just so awesome that they're acting it out on TV for me.

Anyway, back to Shopaholic. It's just simple pleasure to read one of these books. Becky is now a mother of two year old Minnie (how clever a name). She has made a promise to her husband to not buy any new clothes, or shoes or accessories, until she has worn everything in her wardrobe at least three times. Of course, this is extremely difficult for our favorite shopaholic and at one point she almost gets around the promise by nearly purchasing a woman-sized dress for her daughter as a 21st birthday present. Because it was "okay" to buy necessities for their daughter. I mean, who would think of these things! I'm not allowed to go shopping for myself, but I'll buy a dress for my two year-old daughter to wear in 20 years, but in the meantime, I'll just try it out for her! Ah, comedy.

Poor Becky gets in over her head again trying to plan a surprise party for her husband, and of course the lies she makes up to cover everything are so unbelievably ridiculous, you just can't help laughing.

I'm a Sophie Kinsella fan, I've read all her books, and will read any more and all others that come out, so I definitely recommend this one and all of them. Granted, you can't expect Classic English Literature here (even though the heroines are always lovely young British lassies) but you CAN expect a highly entertaining and lovable read. Trust me. Now go read Shopaholic.

1 comment:

  1. Yessss...how about this is going to be my next purchase!!! Can't wait :-) P.S. When was I going to find out about this blog...hmmmm ;-)

    ReplyDelete