Friday, July 15, 2011

Beautiful Creatures



I actually really like this book.  One of my favorite classes in grad school was my Gothic Literature class, and this book is reminiscent of something I might have read for that class.  I love it's gothic imagery:  old Southern plantations, dark stormy nights, an old town shut-in, a mysterious orphaned girl that just moved to town.  It's a classic Gothic tale.

Ethan has been having some very strange dreams that seem almost too real.  The dreams are always about a girl he can't seem to recognize and the two of them are always in a dangerous situation where she is falling into a dark abyss.  He tries to reach for her, but she always slips from his grasp and disappears.  Talk about teenage angst!  Suddenly, a new girl comes to school and Ethan realizes that it's the girl in his dreams.  What?  How could this be?  He's never met that girl before!

Thus, begins the adventure of Ethan and Lena and their quest to find the reason behind his strange dreams.

I had to return it to the library today because it was on hold for someone else and I couldn't renew it!  Therefore, I am only half-way through this book and I'll be anxious to finish when I can check it out again.  I need to find out what happens to these two kids and their strange, mysterious families.  Full review will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment