Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movie: Water for Elephants



This movie made absolutely no sense to me.  I've even read the book and was still totally confused throughout the whole thing!  For one, the storyline was very loosely based on the novel and speaking of the storyline -- it was so jumbled and disjointed I was left scratching my head as to what just happened.  And I'm sorry to say, but Rob Pat and Reese had zero chemistry.  I didn't feel the love; Not to mention the anger or any other human emotion.

I was so bored with this movie, I paused and started it three times over three days.  It was like a drag trying to get through it.  Usually with movies (or books) like that I just give up and stop wasting my time.  However, I was intrigued enough with how hot Rob Pat looked as not a vampire, and I loved Reese's 1930's costumes.  As for any other character, they weren't even developed enough for me to remember who they were or what their role was in the story.  I liked Rosie the Elephant too.  I mean, who wouldn't?  She was great. 

I'm not surprised this movie was so bad.  I never expect much from books-turned-into-movies, so I wasn't even really disappointed.  The one thing that bothers me about situations like this though is that I wish the movie people would at least try to stick to the actual book's storyline as much as possible.  I mean, come on!  It's already there!  The script is already written!  How difficult is that?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen this movie (for which I'm thankful now), but I completely agree with you about screenwriters incredible stupidity when it comes to transforming books into movies. Miles says the same thing about history in the movies - the real events are already interesting and twisted enough, so why does Hollywood feel like they have to change things? In the process, they end up oversimplifying events and underwhelming their audiences.

    ReplyDelete