Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Gone With the Wind Project: Part 3

Done!  In exactly thirty days. 

I was so carried away with this book, I just couldn't find time to write about my progress as I was reading.  Every spare moment I've had over the last month I've read this book.  The story of Scarlett and the fall of Atlanta during the Civil War captured me like no other book has done.  I really don't know how to describe this book other than a blissful sigh and a "wow."   Gone With the Wind is a beautiful masterpiece of American literature.  After all Scarlett goes through, you know in the end she will somehow always get what she wants, and therefore hope is not lost.

Here are some of my notes and underlined quotes from my reading:

Day 9:
The war is ravaging Georgia now and getting closer to Atlanta where Scarlett lives with her sister-in-law and Aunt.  I actually sympathize with her when she runs away from the hospital during her lunch break.  As self-centered as she may be, she does seem to see through the lies and stories about how great this war is.  This is giving me a new perspective on the Civil War.  I never really studied up on anything about the Southerner's perspective of the war.  I didn't realize how proud they were and how much they hated "the Yankees."

Day 16:
I have such torn feelings about Scarlett.  I don't know whether to hate her her because she's so selfish and self-centered or commend her for being so strong and brave while trying to save and rebuild her family plantation.  I wish she would just see how perfectly matched she is with Rhett Butler, who is also self-centered and arrogant, and stop getting mad and yelling at him.  It's an interesting twist that she rushed into another marriage of convenience to Frank Kennedy and I can't wait to see how that is most certainly going to fall apart. 

Page 200: 
"It has been hard on Scarlett, not going anywhere.  She's just a baby....There, Scarlett, don't you fret.  People won't talk when they understand.  We know you loved Charlie."
 This is when I first realize how loving, and kind, and unselfish Melanie is.  Even when Scarlett is being horrible and wanting to go out to parties instead of mourning her dead husband for the appropriate amount of time, Melanie defends her.  I don't understand where Melanie's strength and undying love for Scarlett came from.  Throughout the whole book, Scarlett was so awful to Melanie!  Yet, Melanie stuck by her side even through Scarlett's many scandals.

Page 380:
"Was Tara still standing?  OR was Tara also gone with the wind which had swept through Georgia?"

Page 959:
"I'll think of it all tomorrow, at Tara.  I can stand it then.  Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back.  After all, tomorrow is another day."

I think that's all I can say right now.  I love this book and I don't know why I waited so long to read to it.  I practically want to start right from the beginnging and read it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment