Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Gone With the Wind Project: Part 1




I was early for an appointment, so I ordered a tea at Starbucks and sat down with a very heavy, thick book.  With trepidation, I embarked on a journey with Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

(30 seconds later...)

...I am quite nervous about how to accomplish a reading of this book.  The hardcover version I checked out from the library is 1037 pages long!  I have never read a book this long and I'm hesitant now because I have so many other recently purchased books already on my list.

I'm very torn.  As much as I love to read, I'm only a medium-speed reader.  And if I'm not 100% completely invested in a book, it will drag on FOREVER.  For example, I've read the first paragraph of Gone With the Wind so far and all of a sudden I need to check my calendar for appointments, call my doctor, check my bank account, send a text to my husband, and of course write about trying to read Gone With the Wind.  This could be viewed as not a good sign for 100% investment in this book.  Should I even start reading it?  I'm not even quite sure why I even decided to request this book from the library.  Someone suggested it for our book club, and my husband and I had started to watch the movie, but I had never really ever been inclined to read it.  Hmmm.   I don't know...  I will try a few more paragraphs.

(approximately 5-10 minutes later)

I read to page seven and ended with this sentence:  "...she felt that a lick now and then didn't do the boys any harm."

Okay, so I kind of like it.  I'll keep reading for now.  Besides, I figured out that if I read only thirty pages a day, it will take me around thirty-five days to read it.  That doesn't sound so scary at all!  I have some long flights coming up too that will help me get even ahead of my thirty pages a day goal!  That does it.  I'm going for it.  Gone With the Wind, I shall conquer you in thirty-five days or less.

1 comment: