Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Second Chance



Thing thing about Jane Green novels is that they are really boring for first half of the book.  They're kind of like those indie movies that just show a bunch of people gathered together for some reason for the entire weekend and they're just sitting around the dining room table talking the whole time and you're sitting there watching this wondering when something interesting is going to happen and if there's a point to this whole thing.  

I read all of Jane Green's earlier novels when I was in my early twenties and I loved them!  Now, however, her writing has become a bit stale.  I keep reading them because of my loyalty, and also because I have really long work trips where I need something to listen to, and these make semi-decent audio books once I get past the boring beginnings. 

In Second Chance, we see a group of old college friends reuniting after twenty years at the funeral of one of their mutual friends.  There you have it.  They sit around at a table sharing memories of their lost friend and catching up on each others lives.  We don't reach the the point of this novel until half-way through when we finally start to see everyone's current lives falling apart.  Each of the characters goes through a self-discovery period that was apparently brought on by the death of their friend and in the end they indeed receive their "second chance." 

Not that thrilling, but it turned out to be a cute and easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment