Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain

What if the government was behind the creation of dogs?  What if dogs were meant to be humans, with thumbs and all, but the government stopped dogs from evolving that far?

These are some of the thoughts of Enzo the Dog.  He believes he is a human trapped inside a dog's body and once he dies he will finally reincarnate into the man he is supposed to be.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is an endearing story of Denny and his dog, Enzo.  However, it is not the human Denny that narrates the story;  it is Enzo's voice we hear instead, loud and clear.  He describes his point of view as the dog in Denny's life and the difficulty he has communicating with Denny since he has too long a tongue to form words and his paws lack thumbs in which to gesture.

I was skeptical about this book at first, since I am not a dog person at all.  I don't own any pets, in fact and probably never will.  They're just not my thing.  Contrarily, I loved this book!  This was the perfect audio book.  I couldn't wait to get into my car every day to listen to more of the story.  It was funny, heartwarming, and actually believable!  Every time I see a dog now, all I can think about is that they are just a human trapped inside a dog's body.  They have real human thoughts, and their actions act as their words.

Enzo turned out to be a very loyal and lovable dog, and even though I am not a dog person, I can understand why people love their dogs so much.  This book gets a grade A.  Go read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment